Welcome to the 2020 Wealthy Affiliate review! My name is Brandon Bautista, I am the author and owner of Affiliate Journal. In this personal blog I strive to bring my audience a comprehensive outlook on affiliate programs, products, and services. In this post we’ll go over everything there is to know about Wealthy Affiliate in 2020 and what has changed over the years. Before we begin I will give you a general idea of what this program has available and a rating out of five, take a look below!
Estimated Read Time: 22 Minutes
**Before we start, don’t worry I did not spam the post with affiliate links or ads
**Make sure to read through the whole post as you may find valuable information and have questions. Please leave any comments/questions at the end of the post, I will happily answer them
The Affiliate Journal Review
*These ratings are 100% my opinion and not influenced by anyone else.
About Wealthy Affiliate
If you’ve been looking into the online money making space for a while you may have come across Wealthy Affiliate at some point. The program has been around since 2005 and has had continuous growth throughout the years, which means with the growing market of self starters and freedom entrepreneurs, it will only continue going up. The program is run by two very friendly individuals named Kyle and Carson, throughout the course they send you automated messages encouraging you to keep going. As for the website itself, it’s built on a very user-friendly platform, and it may look a slightly overwhelming at first but they explain every step of the way in great detail.
The Site Dashboard:
The course has many avenues you can approach from and focuses around search engine optimization (SEO) websites/blogs. So whether you want to promote Wealthy Affiliate itself, your own course/product, some other affiliate programs, or even a just “for fun” blog. The choice and avenue is completely up to you. With this being said, if you’re someone who enjoys the freedom of creativity and customization, there is a dedicated course for that. If you enjoy a linear program that provides a “step-by-step” basis, there is a course for that.
Within these courses, there are two methods to intake the information:
1. Videos: if you are a visual person and want to click side by side, there are videos that provide step-by-step instruction
2. Text: if you are more into reading and following along with text, the information provided is to the highest written instruction
The program now has over 1.9 million members which sounds saturated and overwhelmed with people trying to do the same thing, but the truth is, only a very small percentage of people actually follow through with the course. Why is that? Well I’ll be honest, in a world of distractions it becomes pushed aside as other things come up and take its place on the scale of importance. I personally have been guilty of that, I have been a member since 2015 and found an endless list of excuses to not work on my business.
As affiliate marketing becomes more and more popular, so do the amount of material and so called “gurus” come to light. If you’re like me, it is almost overwhelming the amount of information there is on the web. To clean all of that up, Wealthy Affiliate has been true and concise about the material provided (hence why they’ve been around since 2005 and growing more members everyday).
Highlights: Wealthy Affiliate is a website building platform to create content filled blogs that uses search engine optimization to rank in Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. The program has been around since 2005 and has grown to 1.9 million members. The program is filled with different avenues to build your own business that revolves around unique content creation. Wealthy Affiliate is the all-in-one place to provide you the tools to create a successful content marketing business.
Tools & Resources
When first logging into your Wealthy Affiliate account you are greeted with a homepage filled with buttons and tasks. After creating your profile and filling out your bio + personal goals, you are taken on a brief tour of the site and how to access certain resources. If you are a free member you may still use the content creation tools and important resources, however with a premium membership you unlock an enormous library of resources, references, and community that no other program has. Below I will highlight the key differences between free and premium, as well as tools that cannot be found anywhere else:
Being transparent with you, most of the features here are “extra” so I will touch on the key features that I personally use and highlight those that are exclusive to Wealthy Affiliate
Live Help: This is a huge perk, while other companies and courses do offer help, Wealthy Affiliate offers live help with virtually anything related to the service, your ideas and material, tech support, as well as feedback. From personal experience, I can tell you that the support team is efficient and effective at solving whatever issues or questions you may have related to your business.
Website: There are three important components when it comes to creating your own site with Wealthy Affiliate
- Website manager: within the site you are able to manage up to 25 unique sites, they store your log in info, media such as photos and videos, and the ability to transfer all domains in or out with ease.
- Website hosting and backup: Wealthy Affiliate provides hosting, which is HUGE! you do not need to pay another service to properly host your sites. Also, all your websites are backed up automatically in case an error were to occur.
- Website security: Wealthy Affiliate offers an excellent security package that blocks spam, hackers, and user information. Just like any well-known service such as Host Gator, their built in security is well-rounded and top-notch
Training: Self explanatory and ill cover it more in depth in the next segment, but I will touch on two factors here. First, the training is well-rounded and up to date with current trends and resources. The beginner program is unlike any other, providing in depth content to really solidify information and provide a clear understanding on how SEO affiliate marketing works. Second, there is a separate course you may go through to show you the ropes to promoting Wealthy Affiliate so you may learn while you earn.
*I’ll be transparent, most programs such as Wealthy Affiliate and others alike focus on bringing in more people to the site by promoting links (such as this post for example, I am promoting Wealthy Affiliate). HOWEVER, It does not end there, you can use your own creative route NOT affiliated with Wealthy Affiliate and promote your own products, Amazon Affiliates, other companies etc, you are not limited to just Wealthy Affiliate which is very important to understand.
Tools: The resources provided within Wealthy Affiliate are second to none and you have full access to them when you have a premium membership. I’ll go over some of the big ones to give you an inside look.
- SITE Content: A dedicated space for content production. This area within the website builder allows you to have your own space to write articles, reviews, blog, etc. It’s basically MS Word but with key features such as the ability to publish directly to your site, templates to create professional content, and cloud storage so you have all your writing/work on the go.
- Jaaxy: The ultimate research tool for keywords, phrases, and Google SEO. This tool is built into the site and you have full access as a member, which means you won’t have to use Google Trends, Alexa, or anything else to find hot keywords. I personally enjoy the simplicity of the tool and the fact its included with membership is a huge plus.
- Live Chat: This one is a given however I will say from personal experience their quick support has been outstanding. Whether I had an issue with a plug-in for my site or had a simple error with my account log in, the support team is on standby ready to help. I do not know of any other service that offers that fast and efficient help.
- Affiliate Programs: This is massive and no ones seems to talk about it in their reviews. Located on the static side bar within Wealthy Affiliate is an Affiliate Programs tab. This tab is access to hundreds if not thousands of different affiliate programs anyone can participate in. So no, you don’t have to promote Wealthy Affiliate if you choose not to, you have access a library of recommended programs that Kyle & Carson have approved themselves in virtually any category, and yes, its included with your membership 😉
Community: With most programs and courses, you will most likely find yourself involved a Facebook group at some point. I personally dislike that a lot. I find that Facebook groups are really unorganized, scattered, and very little to not informative. People within the community ask questions and rarely see a reply by the owner of the group. So what Wealthy Affiliate has done is integrated a communication feature directly into the website. Anyone from the community, free or premium, may comment, create a post, ask a question, etc and receive direct feedback from experienced members, staff, and sometimes even Kyle or Carson. This is by far the most advanced feature that no other program of this caliber has and should be a huge factor when looking to sign up for a premium course or membership.
Highlights: Wealthy Affiliate has a generous list of tools and resources with some of the big ones being, live help, website tools, training for new users and affiliate members, plus an exclusive area for community members to chat, discuss, and ask questions. This well-rounded program includes everything you need to be successful online, from personal experience there is no other platform like this one that holds your hand throughout the entire process to ensure you succeed.
Without thinking about it, the course material and training is where most people spend their time researching if the course is right for them right? You wouldn’t want to buy a “scam” or dead end material, so I’ll be covering the three main sections of the training in this section now. I will give you an inside on look at the course and the different avenues you can approach from. If you have any questions, I encourage you to leave a comment down below and I will answer them as soon as I can.
Online Entrepreneur Certification: This is the main course, it is divided into five sections with each one targeting specific goals and training. This is where you will learn everything there is to know about SEO affiliate marketing. While the concept of affiliate marketing is fairly simple and this in depth guide will cover everything you need to know in order to be successful online. Some examples pulled directly from the course are:
- Getting Started – Here you will learn how to use and navigate the course and resources, setup a website name and host it with Wealthy Affiliate, add in all your privacy policies, and about me, and even set up your first post.
- Search Engine Optimization – This dedicated training provides you a full in depth tutorial on proper SEO and how to rank your site in google effectively. It is very simple to understand and quite linear as well, which means you will have an easy time learning at your own pace.
- Keyword, Niche, and Market Research – Being an affiliate marketer you must know your market, know how to research keywords, and target niches. With this dedicated training you will have a full understanding of how to accomplish all of that and more. With the addition help with tools such as Jaaxy, all of your research needs can be easily conducted within the Wealthy Affiliate site.
- Marketing – Probably the most important aspect to being successful online is understanding how to market your brand, content and even yourself or business. The types of marketing you’ll be training on include local, email, video and paid marketing. All of these are key elements to broaden your reach to potential customers and readers. You most likely will focus your time and energy in a couple of these and it is important you take them one step at a time.*Note: With all of these avenues available, I suggest picking one and mastering it. Once you are at a level were you feel confident in one category, it becomes easier to move onto the next since you will have something that works running in the background. Many people try all of them at once or sporadically and gain no traction in either, as the saying goes, “jack of all traits and master of none” does impact your performance online.
- WordPress – last but not least, we have the WordPress training guide. Yes you will learn a lot of the basics in the getting started guide, but for those who wish to take their sites to another level this will be the place to do it. You will learn about important plug-ins to increase site loading times, smoothness, see statistics and values, plus much more. This training is optional but highly recommended if you’d like to level up your websites.
Below is a screen shot of the Certification course overview:
Affiliate Bootcamp: In this course you will learn the ins and outs of creating a high volume and fully optimized WordPress site to promote Wealthy Affiliate. The course provides full training on the various different key subjects that create a converting site and promotional content. This course is completely optional but a fantastic place to start if you are new to the online money making space. I personally would recommend starting here even before the Certification Course because you will gain the ability to “earn while you learn”. Just to name a few different ways you can approach this is by creating your own site dedicated to reviewing affiliate programs and courses, create posts within an existing site, create YouTube videos reviewing or showcasing the platform, and much more. Take a look below at the sections of the training within the bootcamp:
Highlights: With the Wealthy Affiliate training, you will learn how to master SEO marketing and have the opportunity to promote Wealthy Affiliate itself or choose your own affiliate networks/products to promote. If you are a complete beginner, the affiliate bootcamp is the best place to start because you will learn the ins and outs and earn while you learn. To wrap up, with the hundreds of hours of training available at your leisure, make sure to take the necessary time to learn and actually apply it by putting in the work. Success does not come overnight and anyone who says it can be done quickly is most likely lying.
Becoming An Affiliate
Let’s say hypothetically you joined Wealthy Affiliate, you signed up for premium, and what to get a head start by joing the affiliate bootcamp? Let’s go over the benefits and payouts of being an affiliate as well as the extra perks gained when reaching certain goals:
This chart shows the basic numbers for referrals to the program
If you’re a premium member, you will initially earn $8 for each referral as the first month of Premium is $19, then $49 from then on, pushing the monthly recurring amount to $23.50. Breaking down these numbers, 2 premium referrals will cover your monthly expense of being a member, then anything earned after is revenue. The beauty of Wealthy Affiliate’s affiliate program is that it is reoccurring as long as the member who signed up stays with the program. So if you are considering signing up, consider using my links so we can work together! This post isn’t just about obtaining people to sign up through me, but to build a community of like-minded individuals who want more than the standard 9-5 job.
Below is a chart to give you an idea on what the possibilities are numbers wise. Some people who are truly dedicated and have implemented all of the training are pushing unreal results, you’d be surprised how many people have become financially free because of this platform.
This simple table above displays the scenarios of daily referrals obtained and depending on how you look at it, with hard work and commitment to your own success these numbers are very achievable. At first, when I looked at this I thought, “Man getting five referrals a day seems difficult… and almost unrealistic for a newbie like me”, and I believed this for some time. However, the reason why I never succeeded in the space was because I let off the gas, I wasn’t working daily anymore and let my site basically “expire”. I also did not do any form advertising which is the primary way of obtaining traffic and exposure. *With that being said, it is very important that you follow through completely with whatever business venture you are pursuing. If you truly desire being financially free, working from anywhere in the world, or simply just to have to more time to yourself, you must sacrifice a couple hours daily to work on your dreams.
Bonus: The Las Vegas Super Affiliate Conference
Above is the sales tracker to attend the yearly conference held by Kyle and Carson themselves. With 300 sales (referrals) you will be able to attend the yearly conference in Las Vegas, an all expenses paid trip to hang out with the owners, team, and other members who are crushing it in referrals. This bonus is available to everyone free or premium, but I will say premium members have an advantage to reach the goal easier because they have access to all the tools. It is not mandatory by any means but hey, who can say no to a free trip to Vegas?
What About The Ugly?
I did promise an all around review with detail and what good review doesn’t include the ugly side of things, right? So not all programs and courses are perfect and I will cover what I believe to be somethings that either were missed or simply not included. Note none of these will be complaints, simply an observation of what is missing from the course.
- YouTube/Video Presence: Pretty self-explanatory but to explain, the platform is simply missing an online presence within the YouTube/Video space. Sure there an endless list of reviews and 3rd party guides, but nothing published directly from the company itself. Not a huge deal since all the information is located on the site itself.
- No Incentives or Promotions: Something I’ve noticed is the fact that there are rarely any incentives or promotions to bring in new members. Aside from the entry level pricing for the first month ($19), there are no coupons or additional “extras”. This may be on purpose but I believe in order to bring in new members and keep existing ones, it may be worthwhile to bring forth some extra goodies.
- Some Countries Are Banned: Sounds pretty bad, but some countries such as Nigeria are actually banned from joining the premium membership area. So other countries that have a high volume of fraud may be banned as well.
- No Mindset & Self Development Section: A big section that is missing from the platform is the self-improvement area. Some example platforms that have a large focus in this space is, Awol Academy/Full Staq Marketer, Legendary Marketer, and “Guru” courses. As an entrepreneur its not only important to grow and improve your business, but your mindset as well. Using books, videos, and other forms of content, daily consumption of mindset/habit building content is highly recommended and should be implemented into your daily routine
- Too Many Bias Reviews: This one is not necessary anything the platform did, but what both current and previous members say about Wealthy Affiliate. There are endless videos on why the platform is excellent and also a scam, and honestly to anyone new I can completely understand feeling overwhelmed about deciding if this is right for you.*On that note, I believe it is extremely important to block out negatives and focus on yourself and your business. Because there is no “perfect” course or platform, they all have pros and cons. If you believe content creation is something you enjoy or are willing to learn, there is no reason to look any further.
- Is Too Much Information Bad?: The Wealthy Affiliate Platform is jam packed with an enormous amount of material to learn and study. I never thought I’d say this but I do think it does scare some newer members away and even drive motivation down. So to that I will say that not everything on the site needs to be learned and studied to the T, it should be taken slowly and at a consistent pace so you do not burn out or get bored with learning/studying.
If you’ve been researching Wealthy Affiliate and believe there are additional cons to add to the list, I encourage you to drop a comment down below so we can review it and potentially add it to the list.
To touch on some of the things negative reviewers say about the platform I will have to rebuttal, check out what others are saying are cons and my reasoning to why they are not.
They don’t put any members through a review process before sending them off to build a business…
This is a fairly weak statement in my opinion because anyone who is even considering building a business should not have to be treated as a child and put through a “verification” process to see if their eligible. Anyone can do this line of work, Wealthy Affiliate is simply a tool to get a head start with the right material.
Access to the site is restricted if you canceled your premium membership…
This is literally a no-brainer. If you build a website using the website builder within Wealthy Affiliate and used the tools within the site to do it, then you must be premium to access it. It’s as simple as having a gym membership.. you stop paying for it, guess what? You have no access!
You can do everything on your own without paying for their service…
Yes, you certainly can. But how far will you go without the tools and support provided by Wealthy Affiliate. Let’s see, you’ll need to pay and setup your own hosting, pay for a keyword research tool, and have no support to tech questions when you need it. If you’re experienced with computers it is very possibly to do without Wealthy Affiliate, but why would you want to when you can everything for as little as $49 a month! That’s 10 cups of coffee a month!
They promise you can earn a full-time living but its far from that in reality…
Listen, nothing in life is easy and for anyone who expects to become rich within the next month or so needs to re-evaluate their thinking. With ANY business you are required to put in a great deal of time, sweat, and tears, and people are too used to instant gratification so much that the idea of working hard for little to no returns within a two-week period is absolutely absurd. A real statistic is that most businesses don’t “get off the ground” before 5 years, but that is not the case with online marketing. In this day and age there are more people online than there are physical shoppers, so don’t be afraid of the long journey as returns will come, patience and persistence is needed.
I covered a lot of information in this review and I applaud you if you made it all the way to the end. To recap i’d like to highlight over some key features and element that make the Wealthy Affiliate platform a great place to start whether you’re new to online marketing or have experience.
I’ll provide my own feedback on the course in detail; this list is not any specific order:
- Training – I personally have not completed all the training inside the platform, but from what I have learned so far I was able to launch two websites and successfully rank them in google. I won’t name them as I want my niche research to be private but I will say organic traffic has been consistent and my sites are healthy. As someone who is passionate about technology, I don’t believe I would have been able to launch my sites as quickly as I did without doing some extensive research.
- Return On Investment – With confidence I can say the material provided and the tools you have access to is well worth the money. In fact, I am surprised access doesn’t cost over $100. If you can find $50 a month, 2-3 hours daily, and value your work, you can make it in this growing business.
- Support -I’ve touched on this subject already but I will recap; the real support Wealthy Affiliate provides is unheard-of with any other platform that focuses on SEO marketing. I have used Awol Academy, Fullstaq Marketer, Legendary Marketer, and Guru courses, none of which provided such powerful support for their members.
- Punctuality – This is about money and payouts. Since being a member with Wealthy Affiliate, I have never, I mean never missed a payout. They payout affiliate commissions the 1st of every month and to this day I have yet to miss a payout.
- Community – I spoke about the community briefly in the Facebook style homepage were all the members communicate. To elaborate on this, everyone who is a member (free or premium) is invited to participate on the community chat to exchange ideas, help, and grow motivation. I find this extremely helpful compared to Facebook pages as discussion topics are diversified into categories. I usually find myself checking this area two to three times a day to gain some insight on new ideas and concepts.
- Learning Curve – The learning curve in this course is rated a medium in my book. Yes there is quite a bit of information and tutorials, setting up of websites, plus creating written or video content; but for someone who loves to learn and try out their own creative ideas or follow a procedure it is perfectly doable. You do not need to be a computer wiz nor an author to make this business work.
Are People Really Making Money?
Short answer, definitely. Long answer, there are people making money from all ranges and it all depends on how much work they have put into their business and chose to continue working even after launching a successful site.
Check out these screen shots from the community:
Here is a screen shot from when I was starting out, nothing impressive, but proof this system does in fact work:
As you can see from the time stamps, I was on and off with my business. I got lazy and feel into the “work-then-play” cycle. Now that we are ramped up again, I don’t intend on letting off the gas.
A lot was covered in this post and I am grateful for those who chose to read my post, a huge thank you! I understand this my review is probably one out of the thousands out there but I hope you were able to learn something new or maybe spark an idea.
If you’d like to support this journey and work along beside me and the other members of Wealthy Affiliate, please feel free to click the link below! Send me a direct message in the dashboard so we can collaborate and share ideas.
I hope you choose Wealthy Affiliate as your foundation to build an exciting new business from! With hard work, dedication, and a bit of creativity, you can accomplish more than you can imagine!
Thank you again, I hope to hear for you and wish you the best with all your future endeavors. Talk to you soon!